- Cyproheptadine is an antihistamine that can also be used as an appetite stimulant or as a treatment for certain toxicities.
- Antihistamines should be used on a regular, ongoing basis in animals that respond to them. They work better if used before exposure to an allergen (eg, pollens).
- May be given with or without food. If your animal vomits or acts sick after receiving the drug on an empty stomach, try giving the next dose with food or a small treat. If vomiting continues, contact your veterinarian.
- May cause drowsiness (sleepiness); this effect may lessen with time.
- Cats can become overly excited when receiving this medication.*
*Plumb DC. Cyproheptadine. Plumb’s Veterinary Drugs https://app.plumbs.com/drug-monograph/ik3d544UkKPROD?source=search&searchQuery=cyproheptadine Updated July 2020. Accessed January 27, 2022.